Did you know that all solicitors in New South Wales are required to keep their skills and knowledge up to date and each year must gain 10 “Continuing Legal Education” (“CLE”) points in order to have their practising certificates renewed? This usually involves attending 10 hours of seminars, lectures, internet based sessions or workshops. Many solicitors see this as an absolute chore to have to “get their points up” by the cut off date.
At Marriott Oliver we know that in order to be the Leading Provider of Specialist Legal Services in the Shoalhaven we must keep totally up to date with changes in Law and Practice. Our solicitors usually have no problem in meeting their requirements and actively look out for courses to attend in their specialist fields. We all enjoy our work and are keen to keep our knowledge and skills up to date so our advice can always be Spot On.
As part of our policy of specialisation we have in the past 12 months engaged 2 Licensed Conveyancers Paul Conway and Kylie Falconer in our Property Team. As part of their professional development they also have to gain their “10 points” each year in order to keep themselves up to date.
In addition to the standard “10 points” solicitors such as Leonie Sinclair and Grant Hodgson who are Accredited Specialists in Family Law must gain an additional 10 points each year to keep their Accreditation with the NSW Law Society. It is not difficult to find seminars and conferences of interest in the Family Law area as the law seems to constantly change. Any solicitors who are not actively keeping up to date with changes in family Law cannot provide proper advice to their clients.
All of our solicitors aim to achieve Accredited Specialist status in their chosen area as soon as practical.
Within the firm all professional staff meet on a fortnightly basis in order to update each other on matters of interest within their areas of practice and ensure continuity of service delivery across the firm
The external conferences and courses we have attended in recent months include:
- Our Relationship Law Team of Leonie Sinclair, Grant Hodgson and Lucinda Hoult attended the 8th Annual Family Law Summit Victoria in Melbourne;
- Our Relationship Law team attended a webinar bringing us up to date on current issues in Superannuation and Family Law;
- One of our Wills and Estates team members Anne Brown attended the annual Wills and Estates Planning Conference in Queensland as well as a course specialising in estate planning tools;
- Our Property Team of Carolyn Hagedoorn, Kylie Falconer and Paul Conway attended a seminar on the new Personal Property Security Act (PPSA) scheme;
- Carolyn Hagedoorn attended a seminar on developments in Retail Leasing Law;
- Our specialist Conveyancers Paul Conway and Kylie Falconer attended the Australian Institute of Conveyancers (NSW Division) Annual Conference which covered a variety of current Property law topics including Community Titles and Strata Title compliance issues.
As a Marriott Oliver client you can be assured that our entire team is committed to the firm being the Leading provider of Specialist Legal Services in the Shoalhaven. And the main beneficiary of that commitment is you the client.